Tuesday, June 5, 2012

When I grow up... I want to be a Fireman!

This has become one of my most popular cakes, thanks to a good friend. She had asked me to create a fire engine cake for her godson's 3rd birthday! She said as long as there was some image of a fire engine on a cake, it would make the boy's day. So I researched and found these wonderful 3D fire engine cakes. S took one look and said, "Don't hurt yourself doing it ok, something simple will do." Well, that got me all fired up and I embarked on my first 3D cake.

Making a fire engine cake is a lot of work but it is also very satisfying when you see the parts come together. First you make all the little elements with fondant - a ladder, a water hose, wheel caps for tyre, headlights, siren, engine grille, etc.



The hard part is really constructing the truck itself and covering it in fondant. But look at the end result! I made this cake 2 more times and the latest one was for my good friend's son. Needless to say, the birthday boys were stoked!





I must also credit my dear husband, he was the one who made the fireman to complete the whole look of the cake. He is my cake boss in a way, always giving me feedback and helping me take the cake to another level. Thanks boo.

No comments: