Monday, June 25, 2012

Salty C

I had an order over the weekend from a good friend who wanted something for her mum's birthday. There wasn't going to be many of them partaking in the cake so she thought of cupcakes. I love making cupcakes more than anything else, it's cute, it's fun and oh so easy to eat.

My favourite cupcake has got to be Salty C - the deadly combination of two amazing flavours - chocolate (can't go wrong) and salted caramel (very addictive). For those of you who like sweet and salty popcorn, french fries with ice cream, bacon and maple syrup, you will totally dig salted caramel.

I make my own salted caramel from scratch, which is pretty simple actually. It's nothing more than melted sugar with heavy cream, a good dash of sea salt and butter to stabilise everything. When it's cooked and cooled, you get a lusciously thick treacle that is buttery sweet and savoury salty at the same time - yummy stuff!


What I like to do is fill my chocolate cupcakes with the salted caramel and then pipe a semi sweet chocolate ganache to top it off. When you bite into these babies, the soft salted caramel filling oozes out slightly and mingles well with the chocolate ganache. The chocolate cake is a super moist recipe that does the trick every time!



I also included a mini cake for the birthday girl to cut into, surrounded by the cupcakes that are easy takeaways for the small party.


I usually make these by the dozen - minimum order of 12. But looks like this can be an option too - 9 cupcakes and a mini cake.

Price:
Filled cupcakes: $4.50 each
Minimum order 12 cuppies or 9 cuppies + mini cake ($54)

No comments: