Tuesday, February 26, 2013

What Happens on a Baker's Birthday?

Hello dear readers, thought I'd take this opportunity to share a bit of my life with you. I don't have a cake to feature today but here's a bit of musing about what happens on a baker's birthday. Who will bake for the baker?

Well, what usually happens is you get a lot of jokes about whether or not you'll be baking your own birthday cake. With this baker, the answer is probably no. It's kinda like, the chicken rice seller won't really make chicken rice for herself, right? In any case, I'd be at a lost as to what to bake, what do I like that could be represented in a cake? These days, my hopes and wishes are less tangible - more family time, happy healthy kids, cheaper air tickets, parking lots at the supermarket!

This makes me think how wonderfully sweet and simple the time of childhood is, where your favourite toy, character, object represented in a cake would totally make your day. One of my most memorable birthday cakes from childhood is a 3D English Cottage. It was a time when fondant didn't exist and this cake was made entirely with vanilla sponge and buttercream! It came complete with a walkway and a rose garden. The bakery that made this for my 5th birthday is still around and they are still making these amazing cakes... check it out Balmoral Bakery.

Now many years later, I'm making cakes, who would've thought! And I've baked enough birthday cakes now to know how a castle cake can mean the world when you're 2 or 7 years old.

So anyway, the baker will probably receive a store bought cake - I'm not complaining, my personal favourites are Rive Gauche's Guanaja and The Patissier's Croquembouche (I love profiteroles). I don't think the hubby has time to run to the stores for anything fancy, but his coming home from Jakarta tonight is present enough.

Talking of presents, I received one of the sweetest presents a Mother could ask for this morning. Jake who turned 3 years old just 3 months ago wrote on his drawing easel - "Happy Birthday Mama" though in an abstract way that would make Kandinsky proud.

Happy Birthday Mama

Now how do you make that into a cake?


No comments: