Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Go Go Power Rangers

It does look like I've carved a niche for myself making birthday cakes for kids age 1 to 7... I have doting mummies to thank ; ) But I reckon it could also be that that's the age parents go through the trouble of organising parties and cakes. Looking at my own kids now, I can't imagine making Thomas the Train cakes pass their fifth birthdays (and Jake turns 4 this year). Then I suppose they just move on to more 'serious' stuff.

A blogger mum (www.sanses.com) who found me requested for a superhero cake for her son who's turning 5! There are just so many superheroes to choose from but only one cake! In the end, Power Rangers made the day. This long-running children's action hero series has its roots in a similar Japanese production 'Super Sentai'. For some reason I always end up confusing it with Ultraman (doh!). 

Before I started work, I visited a few shops to look for cool-looking Power Ranger figurines that might work on a cake. But as the days drew near, I figured I should just bite the bullet and make these action figures myself!

I started out colouring the fondant and can't help but feel like I was making a rainbow cake. The primary colours made the figurines more cute than powerful.

Rangers ready to roll

Notice how their visors are all different. I had my laptop near me as I crafted these as there are so many versions of Power Rangers - like Samurai and the Megaforce? In the end, I went with the more commonly recognisable one (to me at least) - I think it's Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. It was hours of fun making them!

Guarding the cake with their powers

Once I was done with the cake, I can't help but still feel like embellishing it. As you can see I've added matching M&Ms and the lightning bolt symbol. I held myself back and just left a space for the No. 5 candle to go in the middle.

Happy Birthday Jayvon

The cake was delivered to a lovely little chalet party where Mummy S organised the celebration for her two boys complete with a water slide pool (how cool!). I also made an Elmo cake for Jayvon's little brother. Happy Birthday boys!


No comments: