Monday, December 17, 2012

Me Want Cookie!

Aha! Finally, someone's asked me to make a cookie monster cake! I was absolutely delighted as I love the Cookie Monster as much as I love Elmo and since I wanted to add to my Sesame Street characters in cake collection, I couldn't wait to do this!

It's pretty much the same as making Elmo, except Cookie Monster does not have a nose... he is however, a very distinct blue, which could easily achieved with Wilton's Royal Blue gel colour but the frosting has to be absolutely snow white! There is only one super white frosting I'd make – a fluffy meringue frosting. The result: a gorgeous blue and it looks perfect on a chocolate fudge cake.

Cookie Monster Blue

The frosting went on quite nicely, I was able to make little furry swirls with this fluffy meringue frosting. However, as it sat on the counter waiting for pick up, it started to become a little soft and was a bit too melty :( Funny thing when I did Elmo some weeks back, I didn't have this problem with the meringue frosting. It was admittedly a very humid day today but I suspect it could have something to do with the frosting having been in the fridge for a while before I added colouring.

The hubby felt my pain as I lamented at the effort wasted in creating the furry swirls, that's when he suggested adding something that would hold up in our heat! Well, the simple answer is shortening, it is the one thing that would not change no matter how hot or humid... well, it holds up in the heat for a reason and trust me, you wouldn't want to eat the stuff or worse, feed it to your kids!

Anyway, enough of my ranting... here's Cookie Monster and of course, he would not be complete without some cookies for the gobbling ; )

Happy Birthday Tristan

I made some cookie monster cupcakes too, but those were a sadder melty mess - too much frosting, too little surface area. I hope the kids enjoyed it all nonetheless... om nom nom nom



No comments: