Saturday, December 22, 2012

It's a Wrap!

As 2012 comes to a close, I look back on the year in complete wonder and fulfilment. I never expected to be a stay home baker, but the cakes, cupcakes and cookies found me. With Christmas approaching, I took up 2 of my biggest orders yet... 20 Chirstmas loaves for Dogtech and 300 Snowman cookies for DDB!

Originally, the request was for log cakes but I could not roll a sheet cake to save my life so I conjured up my own version of a Christmas fruit cake - a hearty Banana Cranberry Walnut loaf. In truth, I wanted to make something easy to pack that will keep nicely without refrigeration as it needed time for delivery to be done. The biggest plus is how the wonderful aroma of cinnamon loaves baking made my home instantly festive!

One of the fun things about baking for Christmas is the packaging! I snowed on icing sugar for the loaves and had it gift-wrapped Martha Stewart style. I love her bake tray packaging but it's not available in Singapore so I adapted it and made my own!


Tin trays wrapped in parchment

Sealed with a red scallop cutout

Ribbon it up

It's a wrap!


For the snowman, the task was somewhat daunting. I've never made 300 of anything. I prepared the cookie dough a week before baking and realised one dough ball only produced about 20 cookies, which means I had to make 15 portions and find the fridge space for it! The baking alone took a week.

This was how intense the baking got, my neighbours came asking what was cooking in my kitchen... they could smell the cinnamon butter cookies from their homes ; )

After baking the snowman, the next step was making them Mr Frosty. Now, I would usually pipe an outline then fill the cookie icing in but when you have 300 cookies to frost, you ned to find an efficient way to do this. I went online and loved the method this lady used, check out her spoon-on technique.

Mr Frosty taking shape

I underestimated how big a production 300 snowman is, well it's huge, so I actually had to borrow space to do this. I shipped them off to my sister's and had her kind help in housing and decorating them.

Long line of Frostys

Frosty everywhere

The dress up

Frosted and packed

It's a wrap!

All Christmas goodies shipped, and I was told enjoyed by the recipients. Yay! That's all folks for 2012.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year ; )
Stay tuned for more in the new year...

No comments: