Sunday, September 23, 2012

White Disc = Frisbee

This is a one cake that will require some explanation. I got a very specific brief for this cake. A birthday cake for someone special, she's Filipino and she loves Ultimate Frisbee.

When I was researching this cake, it seemed all frisbee cakes just feature a disc (doh!) and unless you knew you were specifically looking for a frisbee cake, it would be pretty tough to say for sure what it is. (I tried it on my brother, I showed him the finished product and frisbee did not come to him immediately). I found a frisbee cake on cakecentral.com that I thought was quite clever – it incorporated grass into the design as frisbee is usually played in an open grass field. So anyway, I went ahead and built the cake. First a simple round cake as the 'stage' and then a smaller white disc of cake, covered in white fondant. I was going to pipe the birthday message on the frisbee itself.  

I also found myself making the Philippines flag two weeks in a row. If you read my post last week, you'd see that I had made a suitcase cake with emblems from around the world. What I didn't realised was that I had made the Philippines 'war flag' (gasp!). I learnt from my fellow blogger mum Eve that when the red strip is above the blue, it means the country is in a state of war. Upon reading more, I was consoled by the fact that even USA got it wrong - read this ;p 

Now that I'm wiser and given the chance to do this again, I made sure I got the flag right, with the blue on top.

At peace 

The trick with the frisbee was to make it look like it's slightly off the surface. I did this by piling in a support column and then fixed a 'cap' at the top for the disc to rest on. It was the husband that came up with this construction plan and it worked like a dream.

The very useful oreo cookie again

Then I wrapped my small disc of cake with white fondant and placed it at the top together with the flag. And here's the finished cake...


Happy Birthday Mel!

Admittedly, I could have added a few concentric lines on the white disc to make it look more like a frisbee. Well, now that I've explained this cake, do you think you'd have gotten frisbee at first sight? Tell me what you think ; )

No comments: