Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Last Minute Requests

Sometimes you just can't say "No", especially when the request is fun one. I received two last minute orders this weekend that I found very hard to reject.

I was contacted by a mummy who was preparing her little girl's 3rd birthday and the theme was Dora the Explorer! She had already gotten a Dora cake but wanted to offer some themed snacks as well. Remember those cookies I made for Eve's Stripes and Spots party, well I was asked to customise cookies for the Dora party. While I've made some decent character cakes, I haven't really tried them on cookies. Plus cookie icing is also something relatively new to me, but I'm always game to learn something.

I made a batch of Cinnamon Raisin Cookies and a good amount of white poured cookie icing, using the Wilton recipe (I love Wilton). The icing dries to a shiny, hard finish, and the best part, it was so simple to make:

Poured Cookie Icing
- Mix 1 cup icing sugar with 1 tablespoon milk and 1 tablespoon clear syrup
- Tint the icing with colours as required

I used this for Dora's hair and face.


Dora's hair colouring

I used a piping gel transfer to get Dora's outline for the first few cookies, then I got a bit ahead of myself and thought I could do it freehand. It wasn't half bad, but let's just say I'm no freehand artist.

Dora on cookies

I was quite pleased with how it was turning out till I realised the face icing may have been a bit too thin as it started to look a tad translucent upon drying. The surface area also posed a challenge as it was a tad too small to pipe the features clearly with icing. So I called on the Americolor gourmet pen and decided to draw in the features instead.

Dora the Explorer cookies

She's a star

I made stars with the extra cookie dough and piped the No.3 for the birthday girl. I was going to individually pack these cookies but my environmentally-conscious client rather I didn't. So I had to rethink how I was going to transport these cookies. In the end, I had them lined up on a cake board that usually comes packaged in a plastic wrap. These plastic wraps sadly get thrown out most of the time, but in the spirit of recycling, I reused it to bag the cookie on the board. Thanks Shir for making me rethink the packaging ; )


Request No. 2

I received an email from a lady hoping to get hold of a rainbow cake for the weekend. She had probably seen my earlier post on it and it's definitely been a while since I made this happy cake. The good thing is that she didn't require any special decoration, but then again, all the delight is within the cake itself already. What made me finally take up the order is that it's for her birthday! You can't say no to a birthday girl ;p

Here's the cake before frosting...

Colourful Delight

She had very kindly sent me images of the cake after cutting into it so I'm able to share the joy of slicing up a rainbow cake with you, check it out...

Tada!

No comments: