Friday, July 6, 2012

Spiderman, Spiderman

I've yet to watch the new Amazing Spiderman starring Andrew Garfield, and already, I've made my first Spiderman cake. Hunny, if you're reading this, I think it's time for date night at the movies soon!

An ex-colleague had asked me to bake a cake for her son's birthday. Her little boy who turns 6 is a Spiderman fan. She provided a design for me to replicate, including cake toppers of Spidey in his famous pose and a large spider web!


To be honest, I was a little relieved to see the cake toppers as modelling these figurines out of fondant will be no small feat. I could try, but I'm no where near the standard of some bakers I know who are at the top of their fondant craft! I'm working on it people... so for now, thank god for toppers ;p

What I do enjoy is the baking - this is a moist chocolate cake that's generously covered in luscious chocolate ganache. I've also cut out the shape of a building using fondant, at the top of which Spiderman could perch. I had quite a bit of fun piping the spiderweb too. There's something about white icing on a dark cake... it really stands out nicely!



This cake measures 12" by 12" (30cm). It's good for 25-36 servings, which is great for school parties! The birthday boy will be sharing this cake with his classmates.

I also made the icing for the borders. I finally tried Wilton's meringue powder and I'm suitably impressed! It produces a fluffy, velvety icing that is so white it makes for easy tinting of colours. With the meringue powder, I no longer have to separate eggs or worry about using raw egg whites :( And not to mention, wonder what to do with all those egg yolks! It taste great too and uses a lot less sugar than traditional buttercream, I'm so happy with this recipe.

*Email me for the price.

No comments: