Monday, July 23, 2012

A Gooner's Surprise

I'm not a big English football fan (and neither is the hubby) but I come from a family of ardent Liverpool supporters (ok, it's split down the middle with Manchester United). So when I got the call to create a cake for an Arsenal fan, I was admittedly a bit lost.

I knew there was a gun involved somewhere, but little did I know, it is actually a cannon (doh!) - the emblem for the North London club. Arsenal fans are known as 'Gooners' and I was making a birthday cake for a Gooner who was turning 50! My dear friend Phi had asked me to replicate the design of the Arsenal football jersey for her boyfriend's dad. I did a bit of research and took up the challenge much to the chagrin of my Liverpool-loving siblings.

So the planning started...

Paper cutout of the jersey

I was told of the new jersey design so I had to incorporate it into the cake as well. The blue bits are new to the Arsenal jersey. But the real work is in the logo...

The Gunner logo

This is jerseylicious...

On a plushy grass turf

And it's done! A Gooner's surprise birthday cake...

Happy Birthday Gooner

Of course if you've been following my blog, you would know the hubby contributes to all my cakes. For this one, he made a Gunner football...

Check out the football geometry 

I was delighted to hear that the cake made the birthday boy one happy Gooner.

You know what this means, I'll have to start working on a liver bird next ;p


No comments: