Sunday, July 15, 2012

Come Aboard the James Train

My elder boy is a HUGE Thomas the Tank Engine fan, this means my younger boy is expose to the funny-face trains a lot earlier than I would like. We celebrated James' 1st Birthday over the weekend, and it was quite obvious what sort of cake I would have to bake for the occasion – a James train cake.

You see, my James has an affinity for the little red engine of the same name. He would flail his arms in excitement whenever he sees the bright red train on TV! He often plays with his brother's extensive train collection and always ends up with the James train in hand. I was sure a James train cake would make him light up so I pored over lots of examples of cakes with the Thomas and Friends theme and specially researched on how to craft a James train with fondant.

It was a big task with lots of expectations, mainly of myself. I was going to make a tiered cake (for the first time) and construct the train topper with fondant.

Here's my James train topper...


Notice how I went for the cartoon look, simply because it was cuter and admittedly less exacting and more forgiving to make! Then the hubby comes along and thought he'd give a go at it. Here is B's James train...



I may be the baker at home, but B is the crafter. He took the train to a whole new level, check out the form and features! Naturally, we went with his topper.

Here are the three main characters...

Percy, James and Thomas

I love the colours of the trains. They look fantastic against a baby blue fondant cake. My elder boy can tell you which colour belongs to which train and the number at the side of each car. I have a feeling I would be making a Thomas train cake again come November when he turns 3!

Hooray James is 1

The cake was a hit with the kids, and the birthday boy (even though he couldn't quite say it yet). They all wanted to a piece of the trains, the rolling hills, and the clouds and of course the moist chocolate cake inside. It's worth the many hours I spent working on it, but now, what do we do with the James topper?

Happy Birthday James





No comments: