Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Building Castles in a Cake

In the beginning of the year, I made a boy castle cake and met with some construction challenges. So when another request for a castle came along, I was ready to roll my sleeves up and try again!

Mummy E got in touch with a very straight forward brief - a castle cake with turrets, and cobblestone-textured walls for the castle exterior. Her boy is a big fan of dragon-slaying knights and they have an awesome collection of toys that could be used for a birthday cake, now all that's needed is a castle.

There are many places to draw inspiration from. Mummy E sent me some examples of what she envisioned for the cake. I also looked to my boys' toy corner and actually found this Melissa & Doug castle that had just the right turret design.

Melissa & Doug Castle

I was going to make a square base and stack it up 3 times, with turret towers. I usually turn to ice cream cones when it comes to building castles but Mummy E didn't want the conical type castle so she suggested using paper towel rolls to construct the height of the turret - excellent idea!

The one important tool in this cake project is the embossing mat for the cobblestone texture. I wanted to buy it online as I was out of town while planning this cake with Mummy E. In the end, it was available at Kitchen Capers in Singapore, they have a good one because it comes in a large sheet. For those of you interested here's the link. Mummy E very kindly bought it and left it with me.

I made the turrets 2 days in advance so it would dry out nicely. It was a bit tricky to make fondant adhere to cardboard but with some careful moulding it was doable.

A lot of grey fondant was used, there was little need for any other colour. But having said that, I applied a technique I learnt at a fondant figurine class - shading!

Here's the castle before I applied shading...

Castle Grey

Closer look at the embossed texture

And here's the castle after shading...


Shady Castle

Elijah's Castle

Now with Elijah's knights and dragon characters, it all comes to live!

Happy Birthday Elijah!

2 comments:

Jolierika said...

Hi Debbie

Thanks once agin for the absolutely gorgeous cake. It was way above my expectations in every department. The first thing my son Elijah said was 'WOW' when he saw the cake. It was the same for me and my in laws too. This was the most beautiful castle cake we have seen and I was planning in my head how not to cut the cake after the cake blowing with Elijah's friends and guests but I knew it can't be done...I can't deprived his friends from eating delicious cake ,can I? Frankly, I am not a big fan of fondant cakes, but this really changed my opinion, it was so moist and delicious that I took more than 2 helpings, and had it for breakfast the next day too ( still tasted as good).
Thanks Debbie for making my son's day and mine of course!

yenyen26 said...

Hi Elaine,
Thank you for the glowing feedback. I'm so happy it made Elijah's day and yours too : ) Putting it together was reward enough for me but knowing you guys love it is truly what makes baking so addictive. THANK YOU!