Thursday, January 17, 2013

Hello Kitty #2

Adding to my Hello Kitty cakes is a decked high creation featuring Kitty at the top! I bought a special Hello Kitty bakeware for this and was really excited to use it.

Makes cute little Hello Kitty cakes

An ex-colleague from my days at Sony contacted me for a cake for her daughter's birthday celebration at school and I was told it must be a rainbow cake and a Hello Kitty one at that. Since it's hard to make a layered cake that's irregular shaped simply because I usually only have one of such pans (with the exception of round ones),  I suggested a regular round rainbow cake that's topped off with a fondant covered Hello Kitty. 

I made my regular Vanilla Butter batter, divided it into 5 portions for colouring with some left to fill the Hello Kitty pan. The pan is such a perfect size, it's great for mini cakes or a topper for part of a bigger cake and the grooves makes it an easy guide to add on Hello Kitty's features. I only have one complain, it was somewhat difficult to remove the baked cake. I had carefully loosened the sides but the cake was not coming off easily. I was careful not to lose any bits since Hello Kitty's face was at the bottom of the pan but alas, bits of the cake stuck to the base :( And yes, I did oil the pan generously! I hope a few more bakes will season the pan. More Hello Kitty cakes anyone?

So while the shape of Hello Kitty is perfect, the surface was a bit rough. I rectified it with 2 layers of fondant or I could have been more generous with the cream frosting. The result was not too bad.

Hello Kitty on top

Little bow and colourful M&Ms for the border

Happy Birthday Ning!

The birthday girl shared the cake with her classmates and the rainbow cake made the children smile but it was hard work for the adults to cut up and serve. So the next thing on my agenda is coming up with a simple guide on how best to cut and serve a rainbow cake that is 15cm tall. Look out for it!

No comments: