Monday, September 24, 2012

A Girl Guide's Sweet 16

My niece turns 16 this month. When she was born, I was a young adult still trying to figure things out, graduate from uni and contemplate the future. Now 16 years later, I'm a mother and my niece plays with my young ones, the way I had played with her as a baby. Talk about coming full circle.

Her dad (my brother) requested a special cake for her sweet 16. She's a Girl Guide and we figured a cake reflecting her time serving as a guide in school would be fitting in the year that she is about to graduate. So he passed me her guides uniform and I decided to make a cake featuring the many badges that she's accomplished over the years.


It's very interesting what some of these badges signify.
Top row from left: Boatswain, Entertainer, Map Reader
2nd row from left: Pioneer, Toymaker, Local History
Well done L ; )

My niece has many other badges but this Aunty could only fondant so many. But there is one particular one she qualified for but for some reason didn't get the badge yet. It's a swimming proficiency badge. So I figured she could get one on her cake.



Making badges, stickers, stamps and flags with fondant is lots of fun! I have Steph Tan to thank for this since she got me started with the suitcase cake. These badges are not very big so it was a bit of intricate work trying to get the details in. The trouble I had with this was the wording 'GUIDES' at the bottom of each badge, it was way too small. In the end, I used my newly acquired mini alphabet embosser to press in the letters.



My niece likes the rainbow cake, in fact, I made that for her birthday last year but I had not perfected stacking the multi-layered cake then so this year, she was going to get a nicely constructed, well decorated rainbow cake.

A rainbow inside this guides' cake
Badges waiting to go on

I tied a mustard-coloured ribbon around the cake for the scarf that guides usually wear. As you can tell, my knotting skills would hardly meet guides standard...I won't be getting a badge for it but you get the idea. Here's the completed cake embellished with L's guides achievements...

Happy Birthday Laura!
Our Sweet Guide

No comments: