Monday, August 20, 2012

A Vote of Confidence

Since I've started this baking venture, I've learnt so much about cake decoration! I was joking with a friend that it's no longer just about baking a cake anymore... you get to be a sculptor (Piggy cake), dressmaker (Barbie cake), engineer (tiered cake), and cartoon artist (Tom & Jerry). But I must admit I still have a lot to learn.

I can't express how glad I am to be given the opportunity to try my hand at making a Tom & Jerry cake. An old school friend referred a friend to me, she was looking for a Tom & Jerry cake for her two kids celebrating their birthdays together. At first, I was a bit apprehensive about the project since I haven't really done much fondant modelling work, but the challenge was irresistible. When she finally decided to go with me, I was so excited, I started practicing moulding the figurines 5 days before delivery! 

Here's the first go at Jerry...

A first attempt at Jerry

I felt Jerry's ears were too triangle...so I played plastic surgeon and had another go!

Big round ears!

Then there's Tom...

First attempt at Tom

I couldn't stop meddling with Tom actually... poor guy not only gets a whacking from Jerry but a whole lot of face-rearrangement from me! ha!

Here's the zany duo

Now since Tom was getting a hammering on the head... the hubby thought it would be funny to play with the eyes...

Seeing stars

Here's the labour of my adventure...

Two-step chocolate cake featuring Tom & Jerry
Happy Birthday Adrienne & Ethan

I'll be honest, I struggled somewhat with getting the a few things right on this cake. First, it took a bit of work to get the expressions on the figurines the way I imagined it. Then there was the fondant covering for the cake. I ended up building a bit too much cake, which weighed in at about 3.5kg. This called for a VERY large sheet of fondant and I had trouble rolling it out. But looking at the result, I think it was a decent effort. Now I'm secretly wishing for a fondant rolling machine!

I'm so blessed to meet many people who have been so encouraging and kind towards this baking project of mine. The opportunities have been amazing and I'm constantly surprised at what I can create. Thanks A for the vote of confidence ; )

No comments: