Tuesday, November 13, 2012

♥ Hello Kitty ♥

My friend's daughter Aeriel, the recipient of the My Little Pony cake, requested for a Hello Kitty cake for her birthday celebration in school. If you read my earlier post, you'll see I made a cream cheese frosted Hello Kitty cake for another little girl. The feedback I got was that while they enjoyed the cake, it didn't really look like Hello Kitty. Some kitty fans I know even told me it was a poor attempt. Well I thrive on feedback and challenges so I was eager to have the opportunity to give kitty another go.

This time round, I made Kitty with gum paste and fondant. You'll see why it is the preferred ingredient, it looks almost like the toy. You'll never have that smooth and neat finish with cream, hence my first kitty looked a little melty and perhaps my proportions weren't the best. Still I would recommend fondant for Hello Kitty orders from now on, even if it's going to be on a cream cheese cake. 


Hello, Kitty!

I baked a four-layer chocolate cake in a heart shape and had it covered in the softest shade of pink fondant. It's the first time I'm covering an irregular shaped cake and I have to say, it wasn't as difficult as I anticipated, but I did run into a troublesome spot - the tip of the heart. So what's a girl to do? Add on more hearts of course! Something I'm sure the birthday girl would be more than happy to have.

Work in progress


I also had Aeriel's name set on a heart. Instead of piping or stencilling, I decided to roll out a long piece of fondant and try my hand at some font-making. I was glad to hear that Aeriel signs her name with a heart for her 'i' too. 

Aeriel ♥ Hello Kitty


It was pure joy assembling this cake. It's girly, sweet and oh so Sanrio! For this order, I bought a really  pretty Hello Kitty cutter. It produces such a nice Hello Kitty shape that I made two with fondant to embellish the sides of the cake. I'm definitely looking forward to using them again!

No such thing as too many Kitties on one cake

Happy Birthday again!

♥ Hello Kitty ♥

To all Hello Kitty fans reading this post, tell me what you think? And do share any kitty cake ideas that you may have with me. 

1 comment:

grace said...

it was really a lovely cake, very very Kitty!!